[MUD-Dev] New Bartle article

Richard A. Bartle richard at mud.co.uk
Wed Feb 28 19:54:36 CET 2001

On 28th February, 2001, Dave Rickey wrote:

> Didn't help, even though the "bad guys" were actually losing *more*
> in death than they were gaining from killing.

So long as the good guys care and the bad guys don't, penalties like
this aren't ever going to get rid of the hard core of PKers.

> And once you start handing get out of jail free cards out, where do
> you stop?

Well personally I stop when I've nailed shut all the doors I know
about. It should never be the case that people get killed with
absolutely no means of defending themselves.

> There will always be *someone* who feels they should have gotten
> their character back, and didn't.

You have to be fair. If you're fair and the player still won't give
up, give up. Caving in to them will cost you more in the long run than
standing up to them.

> There's nothing ingenious about being the 34925th person to train a
> Giant on someone in EQ, but odds are it's happening right now.

Well if the developers haven't done anything about the previous 34,924
occurrences, one can only assume they're happy with it the way it is.

>> The best of both worlds. Explain why you think it's the worst?

> PD, and all the effects therefrom, including PD by proxy, *and*
> effectively immortal characters for anyone who avoids the PD areas.

The effects of PD aren't bad if people elect to undertake the risk -
it's clear, concise and consensual.

The effective immortality isn't a bad thing unless you can do
everything as an effective immortal that someone who has gone off and
been heroic can do. If you don't get anything but cosmetic differences
extra for having risked yourself, then yes, the effective immortality
of others makes you look a sucker and it is bad.

		Richard