[MUD-Dev] Multiple Character Races

John Buehler johnbue at msn.com
Wed Feb 28 13:20:30 CET 2001

Raph Koster writes:

> They're all trying to build a mask that presents what they want as
> their virtual self-image.

Thanks for the observation.  Part of my lengthy post was trying to
discover if races are a red herring for the players on some of the
'higher order' claims.  Multiple race graphics seem to claim that
there will be racial qualities, racial history and such.  One of my
questions is whether or not this will ever be the case when players
are running members of the races.  As you said, Ultima Online somehow
acquired orcs even when orcs didn't exist in the world.  So much for
the claim that humans are human (which I would assume is implied by
the human graphic).

I guess I'm going to take folks' responses as a statement that the
important thing really is the mask.

JB