[MUD-Dev] Interesting EQ rant (very long quote)

Vincent Archer archer at nevrax.com
Wed Feb 28 10:41:44 CET 2001

According to Travis Nixon:

> This is a great argument for the point I made earlier in a different
> context: If you are relying on secrecy, you have already failed.

This is why I made it, and made it into an example. Most sites popped
up after beta finished, because people wanted to see if the system
would change, but within a few months of release, every single spell
was described on the web, and where were the variables that were tied
to each player account.

  (I mention player account here, because your variables are
  apparently tied to the account, not the character. In other words,
  if your first character learned that Endurance IV used a red candle
  there in recipe, you can count on your third character on another
  server to require a red candle to cast Endurance IV).

> I haven't spent a lot of time playing Asheron's call, but from what
> I gather, at least in the beginning, magic was severely overpowered,
> and may still be.  I suspect this might have something to do with
> the fact that they might have designed with the intention that
> spells would be far less common than they really were.

Magic is still way overpowered. Except for the magic everyone tought
would be real overpowered, i.e. war magic (which costs about double
skill points from most skills) and ended up the weakest. With the
right friends using magic to 'buff you up', you can encounter a
monster at level 1 whose defeat give you 7 levels in a single kill.

--
Vincent Archer                                         Email: archer at nevrax.com

Nevrax France.                              Off on the yellow brick road we go!