[MUD-Dev] Interesting EQ rant (very long quote)

Dan Shiovitz dans at drizzle.com
Wed Feb 28 10:23:44 CET 2001

On Wed, 28 Feb 2001 Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com wrote:
[..]

> I have to back you up on this. Asheron's Call has a magic system
> based upon research where the more commonly used a spell in the
> world, the less effective it is. This was intended to foster some
> secrecy over the magic and to make spell reagent knowledge a valued
> commodity. It didn't take more than 2 month for it all to appear on
> the web.

A couple people have mentioned this, but nobody has explained why it
happened.  Anybody know?  I can think of two possible hypotheses: one
is that people told a few friends who told a few more and so on (ie,
not purposely intending to spread the data), and the other that people
purposely set out to work out and explain how all the spells work.
These are fairly different situations and would need to be dealt with
differently by the admins.

--
Dan Shiovitz :: dbs at cs.wisc.edu :: http://www.drizzle.com/~dans
"He settled down to dictate a letter to the Consolidated Nailfile and