[MUD-Dev] Where's The Line Drawn

Frank Crowell frankc at maddog.com
Tue Feb 27 23:23:28 CET 2001

Kyndig wrote:

> This game is the topic and the 'banner' of an group of folks whom seek
> out those who violate the Licensing agreement for which their game
> server runs on. ( Let's not mention names or servers ) When this game
> was rewarded their earned credit from my site, the organisation of
> License caretakers ensured that I was aware I was promoting a game
> which did not abide by the licensing restrictions.

And next time when another mud gets the most votes, I am sure that you
--as a neutral admin-- will promote that mud as well.  The group may seem
to be acting reasonable, but they should be somewhat careful.  After all,
it is an allegation that the mud violated some part of the license.  It's
libel to state it any other way.

It sounds like in your case though that you hands are also slightly
dirty.  Can't change what has already happened but now you know that you
should never respond at the same level (or lower) than your detractors.
Always take the high ground. Better yet, take the "ignore" ground.
Actually, start off with the Santa Claus response then ignore any other
follow up email if the intention is to engage you in a conflict.  The
Santa Claus response is my name for a form of email that I have done where
I imagine what kinds of things Santa Claus may say in response to some
email that has no real resolution.

I am not a big fan of you posting information about alleged license
violators unless that is the purpose of you web site.  You are a service
and you must stay neutral.  The moment you start posting anything that
hints of libel, you are adding a level of pain that you don't need.  Santa
Claus may have a list of the kids who are good and who are bad, but if he
posts the bad list, he could end up in Judge Judy's court.

As for copyright material -- you should only have on your site material
that you have written permission to display or redistribute, or you own
original material.  If you are using deep links to content, you should
still get the web admin consent.  Never link to streaming media content
without the site admin's permission.

frank