[MUD-Dev] New Bartle article

Richard A. Bartle richard at mud.co.uk
Tue Feb 27 13:27:15 CET 2001

On 26th February, 2001, Daniel Harman wrote:

> Surely then you need to completely re-evaluate the risk of a given
> encounter.

I was advocating this for new games, not existing ones. Players and
designers will need to evaluate risks, yes, but not players or
designers of games played at the moment.

> I play EQ and I know that if I go on a raid there is a fairly high
> chance of dying

There's a fairly high chance that your character might be put out of
action inconveniently for a short while and miss out on getting the
rewards stuff that everyone else involved got, but you can hardly call
that "dying".

> This inevitable death doesn't sit well with PD unless you allow people
> to level a lot faster.

Or make people able to escape death more often.

> You've made the penalty for screwing up so great you can't really
> use it.  Its like having no jail in the real world, just the death
> sentence.

There is nothing about PD that says you either die permanently or you
walk away from an encounter without a scratch on you.

		Richard