[MUD-Dev] Interesting EQ rant (very long quote)

John Buehler johnbue at msn.com
Tue Feb 27 10:45:38 CET 2001

Chris Lloyd writes:

> So what if one person blabs? Its their own loss. I would expect
> people to give away the solutions to the lower-xp quests to the
> newbies, and to keep the higher-level, more xp ones to themselves
> and only share them with their close allies. From an admin point of
> view, do you really care how many people do those big quests? As
> long as they don't give out any world-changing items, its up to the
> mortals to decide if they want 1000xp for the quest or 10xp for the
> same quest after they tell a few people. I would hope that this
> might mean that players would actually have to trust each other
> occasionally!

Players give out the low experience quests to newbies.  And it remains
relative.  Once I have enough high and mighty quests in my back
pocket, I start to hand out higher and higher experience quests.
That's always the way it goes.  Same as items in EverQuest.  After a
while, powerful items get to be so common that you hand them out.  I
once paid 10PP for a fine steel weapon (a small fortune at the time),
while now fine steel is like cheap cutlery for many players.

JB