[MUD-Dev] realism and unrealism

Federico Di Gregorio fog at mixadlive.com
Mon Feb 26 14:10:20 CET 2001

Scavenging the mail folder uncovered Travis Casey's letter:
[snip]

> Thus, the mere fact that a particular feature is "realistic" does
> not make it a bad feature, any more than the mere fact that a
> particular feature is "unrealistic" makes it a bad feature.  Either
> type of feature can be boring or too much of a pain for players to
> deal with.

imho, features (realistic or not) are boring only if the player
expects something different from the mud. it is about 3 years i look
for a realistic, RPG-style mud (one where if you die you have to
recreate a character and where the world does not get "reset" every
now and then for example...) but i am apparently unable to find it ;)

> To put it another way: Can't we just recognize that people have
> different tastes and get along?  :-)

definitely yes. but programmers and game masters have strong
personalities and us all, we think that what we like is the perfect
game... ok... lets move along... :)

ciao,
federico

--
Federico Di Gregorio
MIXAD LIVE Chief of Research & Technology              fog at mixadlive.com
Debian GNU/Linux Developer & Italian Press Contact        fog at debian.org
                      The number of the beast: vi vi vi. -- Delexa Jones