[MUD-Dev] GoPers are ants at RP picnics!... was Pay for Play(or commercial rolecall)

Klyde Beattie agius_ at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 26 01:45:41 CET 2001

Jon wrote:

> As do I.  Generalizations and attempts to classify people center on
> defining archetypes.  Real people of course exhibit behaviors which
> > lead then to intersect with different archetypes none, some, or
> much > of time. So I guess the validity of using some player
> archetype to > drive game design is the frequency in which observed
> behavior > intersects with that archetype. As far as muds go, if its
> something > that nobody _here_ has ever observed then it's probably
> a poor > archetype.  If it's something that causes many _here_ to
> nod heads, > then it might be a good archetype.  Of course the
> reasons for the > existence of that archetype, whether it is
> significant or not in the > context of our own games, and what to do
> about it, if anything, seem to be prime fodder for spirited
> discussion here.

> Does that make any sense at all or does it sound like babble?

This makes sense. I think that maybe the spectrum could be better
defined than it currently is. As the case is, things don't seem quite
right to me when it comes to the whole GoPer RPer spectrum. It's kind
of like the Left-wing / Right-wing Spectrum. Anyone can understand the
basics and argue either side, but in all reality the whole spectrum no
long defines politics as they realy are today. In the same way i feel
that perhaps the GoP-RP spectrum doesn't define the actual spectrum of
players.

> It's not that role-players would make bad developers, it's more that
> what they need and require for role-play simply doesn't require or
> cry out for code development.  I think the exact opposite is true,
> developers simply don't understand that their _code_ doesn't do
> anything to enhance or encourage role-play.

Perhaps both. I think some people blindly code things that they think
will enhance roleplay, but arn't realistic for MMOLRPGs.