[MUD-Dev] Interesting EQ rant (very long quote)

the_logos at www.achaea.com the_logos at www.achaea.com
Sun Feb 25 21:18:44 CET 2001

On Sat, 24 Feb 2001, John Buehler wrote:

> Tamzen Cannoy writes:

>> Improper toilet training? Ethics not taught in school? Not enough
>> kids go to Sunday school and learn the golden rule?

>> Frankly more and more I think it is a societal problem in that
>> people don't learn how to behave appropriately around other people.

> Yes, yes, and yes.  I firmly believe that it actually is a societal
> problem (but considering that this is well beyond the scope of this
> list, I didn't figure we could discuss it :).  As evidence, consider
> the experience of online gamers in other countries.  It is not a
> trait of the human animal.  It is an outcome of the path that
> America has taken.  Can anyone comment on gaming in a place like
> Canada or Mexico?  Geographical neighbors, but different cultures.

Gaming in a place like Canada? There's not a perceptible difference
between the Canadian and American gaming markets. Canada is part of
the larger american market. Also, while this is, no doubt, pure
coincidence, the players that have given me the biggest headaches have
all come from Canada (all from one town in Canada too. Must be
something in the water as those particular kids were dumber than
snot.) We've never noticed any pattern at all to grief players
culture-wise. Just offhand I can think of grief players from Canada,
the US, England, Brazil, Singapore, Australia, Korea, China, Italy,
Spain, etc.

I've never seen much evidence that grief playing is caused by anything
but a combination of innate human nature combined with the unique
features (anonymity particularly) of the internet.

--matt