[MUD-Dev] New Bartle article

rayzam rayzam at home.com
Sat Feb 24 11:59:01 CET 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Koster, Raph" <rkoster at verant.com>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Friday, February 23, 2001 4:30 PM
Subject: RE: [MUD-Dev] New Bartle article

> There is some lively discussion of it on the [ultima] mailing list
> at yahoogroups. The archives are members-only, so I can't post a
> link, but here's some of the things that got said:

> Psychologists (well some, not all) have spent decades learning that
> actually they really quite often _dont_ really know what people
> 'really' need.  I cant wait for game designers to do the same."

This sounds like Judgement Decision Making [JDM], a cross between
social cognition psychology and econ. People aren't rational as per
the old normative economic models. Take buying a car, you choose the
car, then the salesman starts suggesting options. Each option has a
small price attached, and taken individually you agree to them:

    Sunroof, $300, sure, that'd be great!

    10 cd changer isntead of cassette deck, $200. Okay!

    etc..

Then you get hit with the new bottom line, and the price has gone up
by $2000. So you decide not to take any of the options.

A more relevant example is framing. A person is looking to buy a dvd
player. He's going to choose between the Sony and the Panasonic. The
Panasonic has more gadgets on it, is slightly cheaper. The Sony has a
better consumer rating/quality but less features and slightly more
expensive. A person's choice can be altered by adding a third
choice. Example, if you add a cheap player without the extra
[unnecessary] features, you can bias the person to the Panasonic. If
you add a top of the line, expensive with all the features player, you
can bias them towards the Sony. Some people will change their decision
the other way [depends on what you value]. I'm not suggesting trying
to manipulate people [that's marketing's job! :)], but I am wondering:

If there's a way to frame PD or PvP, or at least open up public
perceptions to consider it more by having a third option instead of PD
or PVP yes/no? And I wonder if the past history of PvP has
irretrievably framed it in such a way that perceptions won't be
changed for a very long time...

    rayzam
    www.retromud.org