[MUD-Dev] Interesting EQ rant (very long quote)

Dave Rickey daver at mythicentertainment.com
Fri Feb 23 09:25:20 CET 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: msew <msew at ev1.net>
> Well, I guess we need a definition of "interact" now :-) *ducks*

> I have seen a couple of people on muds and on EQ that just want to
> play the game solo.  They enjoy seeing the shout wars and reading
> about the game on the boards, but they really just solo and not
> group, trade, talk, hang out with others.

> So for a definition of "interact" that means just be seen but not
> heard or direct contact with that person, yes there is a set of people
> that don't interact and they probably would not play the game if it
> were not MMP (as they enjoy being voyeurs of the rest of the folks
> that are around).

Stretching the example farther: The lurker phenomenon.  In any public
forum online, many more people participate passively than actively.
By passively, I mean that they read, but they don't post.  And by
"many more", I mean by 20-50 to 1 poster/lurker ratios.  And activity
attracts activity, the hardest part about getting a forum off the
ground is attracting enough active posters to reach critical mass.

Many people like to be immersed in social activity without actually
being part of it.

--Dave Rickey