[MUD-Dev] Interesting EQ rant (very long quote)

Jeff Freeman SkeptAck at antisocial.com
Fri Feb 23 03:33:03 CET 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: <the_logos at www.achaea.com>
> >> From: Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
> > How do I find out what an Aviak Charm is used for, then?  Besides
> > doing the "/gu What's an Aviak Charm for?"  Asking in Guild chat is,
> > in what I was trying to say, the same to me as looking it up on a
> > spoiler site.  There is nothing about the Aviak Charm that says
> > "Centaurs might want this."  If I looted a Centaur Hoof off of an
> > Aviak, I might intuitively know that I should go talk to a centaur
> > about it.
>
> Erm, other people are the _whole point_ of multiplayer games. If you
> want to pretend they don't exist, why not just play a one-player
> game instead?

Well, the Other People are the ones that put up the spoiler site to
begin with.  And they did it because it's a more efficient method of
communication than answering the same question for the bazillionth
time.  When you ask them what an Aviak Charm is used for, they'll tell
you.  And then when you ask them what the next doodad you discover is
for, they'll tell you that too.  The third time, they'll tell you to
go to everlore.com and look it up for yourself like everyone else.

I was actually scolded for doing a quest that had a disappointing
reward.  The consensus was that it served me right for doing quests
"pot-luck" and not looking up what the reward was going to be ahead of
time, like any other sensible person would have done.

If players spend 12 hours doing a quest and all they get out of it is
a torch (or worse - a really cool magic item that they can't use, and
can't trade), then they, erm... complain.  And next time they look-up
what the quest reward is before "wasting their time".

Not all of the players, I guess, but an awful lot of them.

Anyway, I do agree with you though that a quest which required you to
go talk to another player, rather than to a centaur NPC, would be much
cooler than either the spoiler-site based thingie or "go do something
for an npc in exchange for a trinket, which ultimately won't make the
least bit of difference to anyone in the world, except maybe you - if
it is a nice trinket."