[MUD-Dev] Persistent Worlds

Marian Griffith gryphon at iaehv.nl
Thu Feb 22 22:33:39 CET 2001

In <URL:/archives/meow?group+local.muddev> on Wed 21 Feb, the_logos at www.achaea.com wrote:

> Shrug. Then there's no meaning to the word. Anything could exist in
> theory. The physical laws of the universe could undergo a radical
> change tomorrow. As we're not aware of the complete laws of the
> universe (if there is such a thing at all), there is no way to know
> this won't happen. If the mere possibility of something means it is
> 'real' then I do not find myself capable of thinking of anything
> that isn't real, in which case the word has no meaning and this
> argument is over.

The problem is that you define 'realistic' as: 'just as in reality'
while most all -players- use it to refer to a set of qualities to the
game world. Mainly they expect the gameworld to be predictable,
coherent (with itself and with established literary icons) and con-
sistent.  If the gameworld mostly agrees with those qualifications
they consider it realistic, even if it violates each and every law of
nature as we know it.

Of course all this is fairly old stuff.  I mentioned this interpre-
tation of realistic when pertaining to muds on the newsgroups some
four years back, and I do not think I was the first to do so. It is
all a matter of terminology and slang. In fact it even is in the FAQ
:)

Marian
will there be loneliness ...

Rolan Choosing Talia,