[MUD-Dev] No Exp? (was: Exploration Exp)

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Thu Feb 22 16:45:30 CET 2001

On Thu, 22 Feb 2001 11:26:49 -0800
John Buehler <johnbue at msn.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the pointers, JC.  I didn't trip over those lists in my
> wanderings.

Welcome.

> As for Voronoi diagrams, they don't seem very applicable to the
> issue of intersecting rectilinear volumes in 3D.

This depends on the shape of your rectilinear volumes and how you
intentd to handle their intersections.  MSEW's assumption is that
the intersection of two spheres, each centered on their respective
rectilinear volumes, and of a diameter proportional or
representative of their respective cuboids, is a covenient and cheap
short cut to determining your cave system.

Consider:

  Take a coordinate space

  Scatter it with rectilinear volumes.

  Assemble a list of the center points of each one of those cuboids.

  About each center point build a sphere with a radius proportional
  to the size of the cuboid.

  Plot the intersections of those spheres (voronoi).

  Order that list of intersections.

  Build a directed graph of the intersections, and then string the
  cuboids back along the graph.

  Fill in the holes where the spherical approximation is just wrong,
  and apply duct tape and spackle liberally.

J C Lawrence                                       claw at kanga.nu