[MUD-Dev] "Doing a dungeon" (was: Permadeath or Not?)

Brian Hook bwh at wksoftware.com
Thu Feb 22 12:13:34 CET 2001

At 03:07 AM 2/22/01 -0800, msew wrote:

> for any encounter you design, at some difficulty level that takes a
> certain amount of power to overcome, the players will always just
> bring more power with them.

Your solutions all presume that static encounters are repeatable.
While it's not practical to generate effectively depletable content
for every individual in the world, I think that's probably the
theoretical goal for any adventure oriented world.

This avoids the "wash-rinse-repeat" camping cycle; item harvesting;
egregious twinking; etc. and all the problems associated with those
phenomena.  And I don't think it's necessarily a completely
unattainable goal.  Of course, "use once" content has its own set of
problems when it comes to community building and it also tends to
frustrate some players that, for whatever reason (and not all bad),
would like to repeat encounters.

Beyond that, just about any heuristic used for "situational encounter
balancing" will tend to be defeatable, abusable and/or capricious.

- Hook