[MUD-Dev] GoPers are ants at RP picnics!... was Pay for Play(or commercial rolecall)

Klyde Beattie agius_ at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 22 11:46:54 CET 2001

Jon wrote:

> Pure GoPers and Pure RPers simply don't understand each other on
> many levels.

> Take a typical sword for example...

> A GoPer sees that sword as a level 15 +7 to-hit +10 to-damage
> flagged weanie tool that soon will be discarded in favor of a level
> 25 +14 to-hit +36 to-damage flagged flaming, sharp, trollkiller
> tool.  An RPer sees that sword as a leather handled ivory inlaid
> curved > sabre with a few nicks and notches in the guard.  The nicks
> and > notches have stories to go along with them that they will
> gladly > share.  It may be a bit off-balance, but since the insignia
> and > inscription etched on the blade clearly show it was given to
> him by > the Duke of Ereboria in honor of many years service, it
> will probably > never be discarded for another weapon until it
> breaks or is beyond > repair.  And even then will still probably be
> worn at ceremonies and > hang above the RPers fireplace mantle when
> not in use.

I'm guilty of playing both GoP based and RP based MUDs, MMOLRPGs, as
well as AD&D. The latter of which i have played over half of my short
life. I have learned somthing and i would like to break it in to an
observation of different kinds of players.

Pure GoP: 25%

  These people understand role playing games at there basic level
  only, when introduced to these games there first question is always,
  how do you win.

GoP's who get RP: 30%

  These people play fighers with dual weapons and a high strength most
  commonly, but they make effort to play the character, however, they
  will always chose a +5 vorpal blade of god slaying over a love or an
  interesting oportunity.

GoP's who lie: 30%

  These people classify themselves as role players. They role play and
  make fun of GoP as much as posable, they know all the reasons why to
  roleplay and are somtimes good at it. When it comes to a situation
  where they can obtain power they make excusses for what they are
  doing and call it RP. Always suck up to role players and each
  other. A good GoP lier can achive the _fastest_ in some environments
  that encourage role playing. You will notice these people by there
  good stats (but not completly min maxed) and they will be using
  close to the best items, but have a good reason why. They will also
  make excuesses, power and peer presure to defend themselves if you
  question them.  (these people will also argue this post the
  strongest)

Role players: 15%

  These people don't understand GoP (as Jon said) much in the same way
  GoPers don't understand them. They realize this however and usually
  just shrug it off with a knowing smile. Most people who consider
  themseves a high part of the community like to think they are in
  this group, as well as GoP liers. This, unforunatly isn't the case
  most Role players belong to RP groups where RP is more possable then
  it is on most MUDs and MMOLRPGs, this is evedent by the lack of
  attendance in the games that best foster RP. Often these people come
  to the game world from reading books, and understanding a magical
  sword as a magical sword, not a +5 vorpal sword of dragon slaying
  which only works if the dragon fails a save, which the GoPer will
  gladly point out as an exact value for any "important" creature.

> Now when these two run into each other on a mud, that GoPer is gonna
> ask that RPer "Whats the stats on that weapon fella?" and the RPer
> is going to start talking about the weapons history and the notches
> on the guard.  The GoPer is going to retort, "No dumbass, what's the
> to-hit and to-damage numbers?", to which the RPer will say "Excuse >
> me, oh mindless babbler" and type IGNORE MORON (assuming the mud >
> supports it) thereby banishing all traces of the strange rude >
> math-obsessed creature.

most RPers seem to try and help this person become a better role
player.

> Both the RPer and GoPer will walk away thinking the other is the
> most irritating player on this mud.  That is until they run into the
> next one.  Obviously I prefer to play the RP-only games, but I will
> play GoPer games.  My philosphy is when in Rome do as the Romans do.

Or as i say, when in france, be an asshole. =P

> The problem is many mud admins can't make up their minds whether
> they > are Rome or Constantinople and try to be all things to all
> players.  > I don't see it happening, well actually, I see it
> happening but I > don't see it working anywhere. :-)

I believe this is largly cause most MUD developers fit into one of the
three GoP catagorys, and even if they *love* roleplay, they still need
the money from the large GoP population.

In retrospect i would like to add that people don't all fit into these
catagorys, but all have one that is close to them, i consider myself a
MUDder, if thats still allowed, and i understand the joy in *both*
game styles. I belive that role-player would normaly make for a bad
Developer because they (as Jon and I agree) simply don't understand
GoP and how to enhance/prevent it. (again i leave myself open to all
the GoP/liers who consider themselves roleplayers, design MUDs,
therefore feeling the need to defend themselves.)

P.S. I know i made a few comments that are realy actualy defensive
tactics, such as above and after the "GoP's who lie" section. I
recognize these as such, and encourage people to reply without feeling
intimidated by this.