[MUD-Dev] Real Life Consequences

John Buehler johnbue at msn.com
Thu Feb 22 00:13:41 CET 2001

Jeff Freeman writes:

> > And as for getting rid of all bugs, the day will come when software
> > does exactly what the specifications call for.  Then it will just be
> > an issue of getting the specifications the way we want them.
>
> I don't think so.  Even if the software does exactly what the
> specification
> call for, sometimes the specifications are wrong.  Or used in
> ways that the
> designer never intended and didn't plan for.

Perfectly reasonable response.  I'm willing to tackle the code matching the
specifications first.  We can worry about building the 'right' design after
that.

> "Don't have any bugs to exploit" is just not in the least way a
> reasonable solution for how to deal with exploiters.

A generally fair statement.  But please give credit to the idea that fewer
bugs will provide fewer opportunities to exploit the game.

> Yeah, *try* to have bug-free code, but sometimes the code you've
> written which works exactly as you intended it to work can and will be
> used in creative ways to produce unintended results.  Then what?
> Shrug and say, "Well, the code is bug-free."?

Yup.  Then start figuring out why the design is busted.

JB