[MUD-Dev] A new MUD-standard

John Bertoglio jb at co-laboratory.com
Wed Feb 21 20:20:36 CET 2001

> Ben Chambers
> Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2001 8:14 PM

> From: "Ryan Rhodes" <ryanshaerhodes at hotmail.com>

>> So lets suppose you wanted to handle all your account management
>> and e-commerce strictly through the web.  Players go to the web
>> site to log in.  They are presented with a list of the characters
>> under the account.  They can enter the game or create a new
>> character, both of which launch the client.

<<some cut>>

> Web management is nice, but there are better alternatives.  A client
> that displays the same information is better, because it allows more
> functionality.  The web is limited by the design of the html and the
> other standards, which needless to say,weren't DESIGNED for MUDs.

I have to disagree conclusions about a web interface above. The facts
are correct. HTML (even when you incorporate DHTML and XML) does not
have same degree of functionality as a well designed client
program. For example, it is virtually impossible for a web interface
to match the "control density" of a good client program or a well
designed CHUI screen.

However, We have spent the last year (among other things) converting
traditional client-server and terminal-based applications to run an a
browser-based intranets. The limitations of HTML are trivial compared
to its advantages when used in a mass market application. People with
computers which connect to the internet are already "trained" users of
the browser interface. The limited HTML tool set required for
cross-platform compatibility allows the creation of rich, complex
interfaces. Some additional advantages:

  * Marketing. Your web site is the most powerful tool you have
    (unless your client program is on sale at Wal-Mart). People
    like the web and how it works. Embrace the beast and make your
    users happy.

  * Ease of modification. Web interfaces make it easy to respond
    to user requests and feedback. Changes that would be tedious
    in another environment can be made quickly.

  * Accessibility. Your potential user already has a browser client
    on their machine. If they can see (and interact) with your
    system without a client download and/or installation, you have
    a much better chance of intriguing them with your system.
    If you can design a character, instantly, after hitting the
    web site with a well annotated web interface, you will get
    more users. The same is true for help files, in-game
    documentation and tutorials.

  * Audience. Despite its suitability for text MUDs, the telnet/
    character terminal interface is DEAD. No technical/logical
    argument can change that fact. Young people who represent
    the future of text-based gaming demand a richer interface.

  * Technology. XML-based systems would allow designers to utilize
    standard DTDs and schemas which would make it easy to move
    characters from one world to another.

> Using a language designed for MUDs makes much more sense.

The vast majority of applications currently running are built with
either a tool like VB or Delphi or coded directly using generic
language tools and libraries. Few would suggest that financial,
medical, legal or other specialized applications should be built
using a special language or tool. I may be missing something but
I can't Why should it be any different for a MUD or other online
game.

John A. Bertoglio
co-laboratory
503-781-3563