[MUD-Dev] Moving away from the level based system

Mike Warning zaarain at eskimo.com
Wed Feb 21 14:30:18 CET 2001

John Buehler writes:
>> newbie fencer is not a correct statement at all.  Certainly the
>> chances are lower but he should still get something out of training
>> against the newbie.  Or killing that lvl 45 mob.

> Killing a level 45 NPC when you're a level 60 character is not a
> novice/master comparison.  In any case, I'll stick to my statement
> that masters don't learn from movices.

Have you ever been a master teaching a novice?  Novices do the most
amazing things because they don't know any better.  Most of the time
what they do is just wrong.  Occasionally the master will get insight
into something because of it though - even if the novice doesn't have
the experience to see why what they just did was interesting.

In competitive physical activities teaching novices can really aid in
helping the master gain better control.  When sparring against another
master you can do something that is dangerous to your opponent because
they have the skill to react to it.  With novices it is *your* skill
that protects the novice, not thiers.

I've always held that you can't be a master until you've had to teach
your skills to somebody else.

-Mike