[MUD-Dev] Real Life Consequences

Kevin Littlejohn darius at bofh.net.au
Wed Feb 21 11:07:25 CET 2001

>>> Kerem HADIMLI wrote
> the_logos at www.achaea.com wrote:

>> If you're going to do it by credit card, then there is no need to
>> do it at all. You just ban the troublemaker and ban his credit
>> card. He might use another one, but most troublemakers are not the
>> sorts to have multiple credit cards at their beck and call I find.

> What about having a central player database (such as a
> security-network for MUDs), and in order to play on MUDs that're
> joined to this network, the user will have to sign-up with this
> central database, enterin his credit card, etc, and if a MUD admin
> decides someone needs global ban (ban from all muds in the network),
> then he'll fill some form from web, explaining ban reason, etc, and
> if the 'council' (for example 10 MUD admins, re-elected montly)
> accepts the reason for ban, then the player (so the credit card) be
> banned from the central player database, and so from all MUDs
> that're joined to this security-network.

You'd not be running servers in Australia, then - that sort of
behaviour (an industry segment collaborating in that way) is illegal
unless done _very_ carefully, with lots of checks and balances.

Note, I find the idea distateful from the word go - I want to play, I
don't want to be handing you identification info that you'll share
with others.  What happened to being able to buy a service and use
same without you thinking you need to be able to reach out and control
my other actions?

Hell, what if I decide I want to be a grief player in _one_ place, for
whatever reason - maybe I have big disagreements with the admins there
and they decide I'm being a problem, while my behaviour elsewhere is
fine?  Comes back to that definition thing - in one of John Buehler's
games I may be a grief player, but not in a good pvp arena.

Oh, and a small practical issue: I get a new ccard number every time I
phone the bank and ask for a new card - and that's free.  Even better,
Amex are offering one-time-use card numbers now, specifically to
protect against people collecting my ccard number and mis-using it.  I
won't even mention that my ccard and my SO's ccard share the same
numbers...

I'd actively chose not to play on any server that was involved in such
a system - and I suspect I'd not be alone.

KevinL