[MUD-Dev] No Exp? (was: Exploration Exp)

Michael Tresca talien at toast.net
Wed Feb 21 07:40:35 CET 2001

msew posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 4:37 AM

>> We just recently implemented Role-Playing Points (RPP).  RPP is
>> figured in for leadership of guilds that are less combat-oriented
>> (merchants, alchemists).

> Can you discuss this a bit more? :-) How does the game system
> monitor and ++ and -- people's RPP stat.

This isn't anything new, it's used on MUSHs all the time.  Here's some
excerpts from our help files:

RP points (RPP) are a measure of how much role-playing you do "in
game" through the RP newsgroup.

How RPPs are awarded:

  The RP community (consisting of players with a certain amount of
  RPP) act as RPP judges and vote on those they think RPed well each
  week.  They won't be able to vote for each other.  These are
  established RPers who we can trust won't do anything foolish or
  corrupt.  The votes may be held daily or weekly, similar to the
  voting system for guild mentors.  These RP Moderators can vote not
  just on RP posts, but on IC (in-character) channel discussions,
  in-person role-playing events, etc.

Benefits:

  Characters have two kinds of benefits, from having a certain amount
  of RPPs, and spending them like PEs.  These wishes are no longer
  available with PEs, they can only be bought with RPPs.  This means
  they are gained on merit -- and no, RPPs can NOT be bought!

  RPPs can be spent on:

    - 10 RPP - Typo message
    - 10 RPP - Colored Fellblade name
    - 10 RPP - Colored lute name
    - 20 RPP - inform message upon entering
    - 20 RPP - colored channel messages
    - 30 RPP - Different speaking verbs
    - 50 RPP - Spell named after you

  Once a character has accumulated a minimum number of RPPs, he or she
  gains access to certain abilities:

    - 5 RPP - Spread rumors
    - 10 RPP - Background command
    - 10 RPP - Vote for other role-players
    - 20 RPP - Access to world-specific channels
    - 50 RPP - Extra apprentice
    - 100 RPP - Freeform emotes
    - 250 RPP - Extra apprentice
    - 500 RPP - Extra apprentice
    - 750 RPP - Extra apprentice
    - 1000 RPP - Extra apprentice

  RPPs may be factored into certain functions that are considered
  role-playing in nature, specifically Guild and Race leadership
  roles.  * RPPs will be included in guilds that are more role-playing
  in nature.  Fighters probably don't have much to worry about, but
  "civilized" guilds who interact with society (Sentinels, Merchants)
  will find they can use their RPPs to influence the game.  * Players
  with high RPPs are considered trustworthy by the coding staff.  We
  monitor those players less, let them have more freedom, and assume
  they have displayed a certain level of maturity that they will not
  abuse the powers they earned through hard work.

The purpose of RPPs is to legitimately recognize role-playing as a
worthy pursuit, as worthy as killing monsters all day over and over.
This does not in any way mean that hack-and-slash types are bad or
will be penalized.  It does mean that role-players will be given a
legitimate advantage for spending their time and energy NOT killing
monsters, which will allow them further opportunities, and even the
ability to compete on an equal level with someone who just beats on
stuff all day.

Mike "Talien" Tresca
RetroMUD Administrator
http://www.retromud.org