[MUD-Dev] Interesting EQ rant (very long quote)

Jeff Freeman SkeptAck at antisocial.com
Wed Feb 21 03:39:45 CET 2001

From: <the_logos at www.achaea.com>

> You certainly haven't convinced the player in me that your ideas are
> any different from what is happening now. You're just concealing the
> quest with a paper-thin story device. The quest is the same.

Exactly.  But some people like those quests, so we thrown them in
whether we like them or not (I don't).

What bothers the player in *me* is that the quest-author didn't even
bother to make the quest plausible, given that it would be in a
multiplayer world versus being in a single-player CRPG.

It certainly isn't hard, and it doesn't change what The Quest is,
fundamentally.  The quests are the same, it takes no more effort to
design, but one fits the type of game and the other one doesn't.  So,
given that the "I like quests"-guy loses nothing, why not use the
model that *fits*?