[MUD-Dev] Real Life Consequences

the_logos at www.achaea.com the_logos at www.achaea.com
Wed Feb 21 02:57:58 CET 2001

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001, John Buehler wrote:

> And cynicism does?  Goodwill and cooperation scale nicely, thank
> you.  Guess where this free, moderated, mailing list that you're a
> member of came from?  Or those free MUDs that people are playing?

Erm, how does the goodwill scale in the case of Mud-Dev. It only takes
one person to run it. It doesn't require the goodwill of more than one
person when all power autocratic in nature.

As for the free muds, there isn't a single free mud I'd think of as
having proved that anything scales. The playerbases are all too small
to provide a decent test in my opinion. And how many of these free
muds that you're talking about give people the unrestricted ability to
PK each other without consequence. If good will scaled, that wouldn't
really be a problem.

> And as for getting rid of all bugs, the day will come when software
> > does exactly what the specifications call for.  Then it will just
> be > an issue of getting the specifications the way we want them.

Your optimism is truly unbounded! I'd say that software is the
specification and that it already does exactly what the specification
calls for it to do.

--matt