[MUD-Dev] Persistent Worlds

msew msew at ev1.net
Wed Feb 21 02:35:58 CET 2001

At 23:21 02/17/2001 -0800, John Buehler wrote:

> > Could you keep them out?

> Nope.  As I keep saying, I'm hoping that they will be as uninterested
> in my game as they would be in Teletubbies.  But for different
> reasons, hopefully :)

One might think you are creating a "target rich environment" and not
the Top Gun sort of way.  A REAL grief player (one that purposefully
is out to make people's day's bad) is going to look at this
park/environment and think they have hit pay dirt.

Why go to a place where they can get smacked around via PvP mechanics
when they can zip zop into your world of sheep. :-)

  - Verbal abuse

  - Wildly jumping around and stomping on my picnic in the green meadow

  - Calling over other PCs saying there is a big get together over
  yonder ( private party no longer, or being in the vicinity causing
  lag)

  - forming gangs of grief players (this will happen)

etc etc for all of the other mean evil unsocial things people will do.

Certainly, you can try to stop these people with various measures but
that makes your game an even BETTER target!  Imagine the glory
1337_D3WD69 will get when he posts on his web site the turmoil he
caused with his hacked email account and generated credit card.

Heck even the grief players only come to your game when their game is
down being patched, it will cause enough ruckus it Pleasantville to
last a while :(

msew