[MUD-Dev] Pay for Play (or Commercial Rolecall)

the_logos at www.achaea.com the_logos at www.achaea.com
Tue Feb 20 21:16:34 CET 2001

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001, Dave Rickey wrote:

> It also isn't in the game.  The *player*, a paying customer, did
> something outside of the game which was intended as roleplay, and
> lost his account over it.

So the player can sue Verant. *shrug* It's wonderful to argue about
whether Verant should or shouldn't have done that, but Verant did do
it, Verant has the power to do it, and unless someone is going to do
something about it, then Verant's power to do that is effectively
unquestionable.

I have no problems banning people for things they do out of the
virtual world itself. It's my world, and if I don't want you there,
out you go. If someone doesn't like it, sue me. I'll probably put you
back in the game at that point, but you're going to find an awful lot
of nasty things coincidentally happening to your character such that
playing becomes impossible. "Well would you look at that? That
Shrubmonster came STRAIGHT for Bob like Bob was the only one he cared
about!!"

> You say Too-may-toe, I say Toe-maht-toe.  The question is, if a
> player can be banned for writing a torture-rape story, can he also
> be banned for racial-hatred stories (when the races are fictional)?
> Should we start banning players for troll-speak?  What other
> out-of-game actions can they be banned for?  Should we also ban
> convicted sex-offenders?  Drunk drivers?  People who commit
> "adultery" with consensual "hot chat" through EQ /tell?

I think answering any of those questions in a generalized way is going
to be difficult. I would probably ban convicted sex offenders if I
knew they were playing Achaea. I just don't like such people and I
don't want their business. That's the only reason I need. Maybe other
people need other reasons. It's up to them. Again though, it is my
world (well, Achaea LLC's world of which I am the majority
shareholder) and if I want to kick someone off, I shall. It might not
be the wisest course of action financially or in terms of keeping the
playerbase happy (which is why I don't just chuck people off willy
nilly), but those are my concerns and are only concerns if I choose to
make them concerns.

> Even the most social and innocuous of online games has its seemy
> side, wasn't Dr. Cat sharing an anecdote a month or so back about a
> player pretending to be a squirrel cybering with a player pretending
> to be a horse (and both of them males pretending to be females) in
> Furcadia?  How many layers of "icky" are in there?

Damn you Dave. I had blocked that image out of my head after Dr. Cat's
post, and now you've dredged it up again. You've gotta give it to
those furry sex-addicts though: They sure are creative.

--matt