[MUD-Dev] A new MUD-standard

Ben Chambers bjchambers at phoenixdsl.com
Tue Feb 20 20:14:07 CET 2001

From: "Ryan Rhodes" <ryanshaerhodes at hotmail.com>

> So lets suppose you wanted to handle all your account management and
> e-commerce strictly through the web.  Players go to the web site to
> log in.  They are presented with a list of the characters under the
> account.  They can enter the game or create a new character, both of
> which launch the client.  This is a simplified description of how I
> would like for it to work, but let me ask you this:
>
> Reguardless of weather you are trying to do it all from the client or
> using a combination of the client and the web, when you model the
> interface for these features on the server side do you combine them
> all into one "Connection" abstraction?  It seems to me that certain
> things like 'e commerce' or account management don't really need to
> interact with the game at all, only the database.  It seems like
> having separate 'server' entities to handle the various game services
> is more logical, but I'm posting because I don't really know????

Web management is nice, but there are better alternatives.  A client
that displays the same information is better, because it allows more
functionality.  The web is limited by the design of the html and the
other standards, which needless to say, weren't DESIGNED for MUDs.
Using a language designed for MUDs makes much more sense.