[MUD-Dev] Interesting EQ rant (very long quote)

the_logos at www.achaea.com the_logos at www.achaea.com
Tue Feb 20 18:26:44 CET 2001

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001, Jeff Freeman wrote:

> From: <the_logos at www.achaea.com>

>> Likwise in a game. It seems batty to me to pretend that a player is
>> the first one to do a quest when it's been done a thousand times
>> before and every other person in the land knows how to do it. It
>> seems even crazier to tell me that I DON'T know how to do the
>> quest, when my best friend Bob the Orc Slayer just told me how to
>> do it.

> It seems batty to me to design quests like that for MUDs in the
> first place.  Single-player games that are played once-through and
> then un-installed, fine.  But they have no place in MUDs.  They
> don't "fit", and the problems they create lead to weird solutions
> like "this npc has X, unless you haven't heard about X from that
> other NPC first, in which case he doesn't".

Well, they have no place in a world that is trying to simulate
reality. Saying they have no place in MUDs is being pretty
short-sighted as to what constitutes a MUD. I, for example, have no
problem with fed-ex quests. I'd like to see more interesting quests of
course, but I don't have a problem with them. They can allow peaceful
players to get xp or whatever reward you choose, etc.

Now, I personally can't stand the example you give, where you have to
hear something from an NPC rather than another player (why should one
source of information matter while another doesn't? Just silly to me),
but general fed-ex quests are not objectionable to me.

--matt