[MUD-Dev] A new MUD-standard

Bryce Harrington bryce at neptune.net
Tue Feb 20 12:38:32 CET 2001

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001, Frank Crowell wrote:

> The Worldforge guys went with XML for their definition.  I have also
> lightly looked at SMIL and think that it could be adapted for muds.
> SMIL doesn't deal with the transport layer but deals with content
> presentation.  SMIL is also based on XML so it's not radically
> different.

Actually, XML turned out to be too slow, so we created an XML-like
network transfer protocol, called Atlas.  It uses codecs to represent
the exact communication format.  So it *can* do plan XML.  But it can
also do compressed XML, or even encrypted data streams.  Our plans are
to eventually create an efficient all-binary transfer format.  And the
way Atlas is designed, the server and client can negotiate between
themselves which exact format to use.

The real benefit of Atlas to us, has been that we have a standardized
3D gameworld protocol for client/server, editor/server, and
client/client communications.  We created a library with a
standardized API, that developers can link their clients or servers
to, and maintain versions of the library for C++, Java, Python, and
Mercury (and can add others as desired).  We've got two servers that
use Atlas, plus about half a dozen clients and editors - including
mud-like text, 2D iso, and (soon) 3D.

Anyway, could be a bit overkill for what you're after, but there ya
go.  ;-) More info:

  http://www.worldforge.org:8421/website/protocols/

Bryce
bryce at worldforge.org