[MUD-Dev] Real Life Consequences

John Buehler johnbue at msn.com
Tue Feb 20 00:45:13 CET 2001

Michael Tresca writes:

> Money as a fine just ensures the jerks you do get will be the really
> really rich ones.  It's fallacious to assume it's a deterrent for
> everybody -- it isn't.

Nothing is a deterrent for everbody.  Such a claim states that
everyone has the same value system, which is not true.  This includes
the deterrent of threatening one's life.  Some will be willing to
sacrifice their life to attain a goal.  Consider the problem of the
determined assassin.  Any assassin willing to give his life to take
another's life is extraordinarily difficult to stop.

When I look at grief players, I only consider deterrents as knocking
their numbers down from N% to (0.8 * N%) and then to (0.6 * N%), etc.
If I've deterred all but the determined assassin, I've knocked that
number down to (0.001 * N%).

JB