[MUD-Dev] Interesting EQ rant (very long quote)

Madrona Tree madronatree at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 19 19:21:02 CET 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "msew" <msew at ev1.net>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>; <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Monday, February 19, 2001 4:36 AM
Subject: Re: [MUD-Dev] Interesting EQ rant (very long quote)

> Further, it makes zero sense for someone not to see items while
> others can based on whom they talked to.  Now while maybe this works
> for the uber divine quests where people are looking for holy relics
> and what not, but making some people see fire beetle eyes and others
> not is pretty sketchy.

Well, not fire beetle eyes.  But i think for the NoDrop quest-items,
yeah.  And then if somebody is *on* the quest, and has set the flag,
it shouldn't take them 50 avocet kills to find an aviak charm.  It
should take them perhaps 5.  Just one if it was a slow spawn like the
shin-lord.  Why drag it out and make it tedius?  I mean what if I
don't want to kill something over, and over, and over?  What if I
don't have (or want to have) that kind of time to invest?

Moreover, I shouldn't be able to even get the Warrior's Crafted Armor
quest as a Druid (I was).  Cut down on the amt of camp time, and the #
of people doing the quest, and you'd have a much smoother-flowing
quest system.

[snip]

> As to "cheapens them" that is totally subjective :-) For the
> Achiever archetype, the actual steps and the "story" and "plot"
> behind the quest are pointless.  Only the reward matters.

Well, cheapens them is a subjective way of saying that it nullifies
their purpose.  If you're going to have somebody drop a lens onto a
gnome who they've never seen before to get a staff, why not just put
the staff on the mob instead, and be done with it?  Why not just have
random loot spawns, like Diablo?  You could just scrap the story and
plot altogether.  It'd probably save you some expense -- you wouldn't
have to hire near as many writers.

I don't think that your above statement is necessarily true -- I think
there are some achievers who like Stories.  They just want to have the
story Now and be get through the story Now so they can be onto the
Next Story.  I think Bartle's Four should look something like a cube
rather than a square.  :)

But the group you are talking about -- the
"Quest?-What-Quest?-Just-Give-Me-The-Loot-Already" types -- I think a
lot of them are grief players, or grief players waiting to happen, or
grief players in sheep's clothing, or something.

[snip]

I liked your casual gamer/Sword of Doom idea.  :)

Madrona Tree.