[MUD-Dev] enforced roleplaying

Christopher Allen ChristopherA at skotos.net
Mon Feb 19 18:22:13 CET 2001

Sanvean:
> Well, but we are nazis.

> However, aside from this, to a large extent the players are the ones
> who keep this going -- I see them instructing the newbies, and
> objecting when someone else does something that's bad.  Problems
> arise when two people's ideas of what's good roleplay varies -- but
> the best way to address that is in the documentation, by making
> things as clear as possible.  We're also got an incredibly active
> discussion board, where a lot of debate, clarification, etc. takes
> place.

> Which is not to downplay the importance of the staff, but our lowest
> level of immortals, the Storytellers, are not allowed to interact
> directly with players via sends -- they have to switch into NPCs and
> try to answer questions, solve problems while remaining in
> character.  This keeps the level of perceived fascism down (to a
> certain extent, since I do have a immortals who I feel as though I
> have to be constantly reining in due to their zeal).

We didn't study Armageddon when designing Castle Marrach, but
Sanvean's comments could almost apply verbatim to how Castle Marrach
works.

We established a number of cultural factors early on -- court
courtesy, an emphasis on honor, a conflict between two styles of
honor, etc. The players quickly picked up on it and run with it, with
only little work on our part to make sure that the culture supports
that. We also constructed early player groups to attract people of
different types of behaviors, and this was quite successful as
well. There are debates about what 'good roleplay' is, but we don't
have to participate -- our extremely active player boards always seem
to draw the best out and issues are resolved or differences clarified
so that people understand each other.

Like Armageddon, the lowest level of StoryTellers, what we call
StoryGuides, are not allowed to directly interact IC with
players. Then can do more then sends, but have a fairly limited set of
commands focused on dealing with +assists and common OOC player
problems. StoryGuides have no schedule -- just when we find players
that are sufficiently mature, we turn the flag on, so when the see OOC
problems or an +assist comes across the line while playing their
character, they can switch to a StoryGuide body and resolve the
problem. They are specifically prohibited from dealing with IC
problems.  Like Armageddon, these policies keeps down any resentment.

Enclosed is a copy of our "How do I become a StoryGuide FAQ"

-- Christopher Allen

.. Christopher Allen                                 Skotos Tech Inc. ..
..                           1512 Walnut St., Berkeley, CA 94709-1513 ..
.. <http://www.Skotos.net>               o510/647-2760  f510/647-2761 ..

The Prospective StoryGuide FAQ

So you want to be a StoryGuide? This FAQ provides more information on the
whole program, so that you can decide if it's really for you.

  Q: What are the Responsibilities of a StoryGuide?

  A: As a StoryGuide you'll have two responsibilities: (1) To
  occasionally help people out in the game -and- (2) To make
  appropriate use of your StoryGuide powers.

If you ask to become a StoryGuide, it should be because you want to
offer occasional aid to other players, and we'll expect you to do
that. Likewise, we expect that you'll use your StoryGuide powers only
for that task: not for advancing plots, not for helping out with IC
interactions. A StoryGuide's persona and powers are totally separate
from any other characters that a StoryGuide might play in Castle
Marrach.

By taking on these responsibilities, StoryGuides make the Castle a
more enjoyable place for everyone ... including themselves.

Here's a couples of things that StoryGuides are specifically not
responsible for:

     * StoryGuides do not have to sign up for any type of schedule.

     * StoryGuides do not have to promise to put in a minimum number
       of hours a week.

     * StoryGuides do not ever have to sit around, waiting for
       questions.

     * StoryGuides do not have to answer a question or assist just
       because they happen to be on.

  Q: What Problems Will a StoryGuide Resolve?

  A: A StoryGuide resolves OOC problems. These can include technical
  problems, basic information questions, and minor conflicts and TOS
  infractions.

Basic Information Questions are probably the most common query. They
include: What do I do? How do I get around the Castle? Where is the
Tailor's Room? Where is Joe? StoryGuides shouldn't give out IC
information often, but stuff known to most players--such as where to
get clothing and where people gather--is fair game. StoryGuides should
never give out information that a normal player couldn't get, such as
were a character is currently located.

Technical Problems primarily relate to being unable to understand how
to play the game. This could be an inability to understand the parser;
difficulties logging in; or other issues.

Interplayer Conflicts are all those issues which involve Terms of
Service (TOS) infractions and OOC problems between players. If someone
is making life unpleasant for other players, that's when a StoryGuide
comes in.  A StoryGuide might resolve disputes, rename badly named
players, talk with disruptive players, and mute or temporarily banish
characters if required.

  Q: What are the Criteria for Becoming a StoryGuide?

  A: Here are the main qualifications that we're looking for in a
  StoryGuide:

     * Familiarity with how the game works.
     * Proven ability to help new players.
     * Proven ability to be firm with troublemakers.
     * Ability to keep IC and OOC separate.
     * Trustworthiness, honesty, and common sense.
     * Good communication skills.

We want to find people who are just a little intimidated by the
position of StoryGuide.

How do I Sign Up?

Send mail to ce at skotos.net with the subject "I WANT TO BE A
STORYGUIDE".  Tell us what game you're interested in StoryGuiding for
and why (briefly!).  Also, list three references for us--folks in the
game who'll be able to tell us that you have the qualities we're
looking for.