[MUD-Dev] Pay for Play (or Commercial Rolecall)

Dave Rickey daver at mythicentertainment.com
Mon Feb 19 14:51:10 CET 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: Ryan Rhodes <ryanshaerhodes at hotmail.com>

> I can understand banning paid customers for certain, easily
> definable, violations like sexual harasment, but something seems
> legaly funny about banning paid customers for RP.  (I'm no expert)
> Is this just in theory, or are there some actual pay games that have
> policies like this currently?

A few months back, Verant banned a player from EQ for Roleplaying.
Specifically, the player wrote a series of stories best described as
"Dark Elf Torture Porn", posting them to a fansite RP board.  One of
them, the background story for this player's main character, featured
the rape of a Dark Elf of "14 seasons" (an RP convention indicating
14th level, but context implied that was an age as well).  Someone
made a mini-crusade out of these stories, threatening Verant they
would go to various watchdog groups, and Verant banned the player who
wrote the stories (claiming that they did so to protect their
Intellectual Property, the stories were unauthorized derivative works)

So yes, paying customers can be banned for RP the game operators feel
is inappropriate.  The interesting thing about this was that it was RP
that occurred entirely outside of the game.

--Dae Rickey