[MUD-Dev] Object Models

Russ Lewis russl at lycosmail.com
Mon Feb 19 11:46:03 CET 2001

msew wrote:

> I am not advocating the uber tool of doom that knows about
> everything and never needs to be changed, but instead advocating
> making tools PART of the development of the game.  The tools should
> be just as important as the graphics engine or the network code.
> The tools get updated as new features are incorporated.  Yes this
> will slow down the project at some points but the over all net gain
> is immense.

In addition, tools lets the balance of labor shift.  w/o tools, you
must have someone who really knows the guts of the engine make the
modifications.  That means either the programmer, or someone trained
by the programmer.  w/ tools, the programmer just writes a program (he
likes that right?  that's what he does...) and then untrained/quickly
trained users can contribute most of the labor.  That means that the
programmer can do what he does best, and level design can be done by
interns...or, better yet, but designers hired specifically for that
job.