[MUD-Dev] Re: MUD-Dev digest, Vol 1 #249 - 28 msgs

the_logos at www.achaea.com the_logos at www.achaea.com
Sun Feb 18 19:24:37 CET 2001

On Sun, 18 Feb 2001, Dr. Cat wrote:

> > From: <the_logos at www.achaea.com>
>
> > and can't get in. We do allow them to build those, but they are
> > called houses, and as they cost about $105 for the first room and
> > $40/room in a city (twice that outside a city, 1.5x that in a
> > village) plus the cost of any special features or customization
> > (servants, pubs or bars, healing fields, outdoor rooms, forges, etc
> > etc), people don't build anything but house-type things with a
> > handful of rooms (though I believe someone is considering a 20 room
> > castle with a dungeon and a couple of aggressive mobiles currently.)
>
> That's an awful lot of money.  We'd never have had the explosion of
> creativity we have if we restricted building to the people willing
> to pay $100+!  Of course the economics are totally different in a
> world where combat, gold acquisition and monster slaying are primary
> elements.

I also might ask who yo uare talking about? Are you talking about
Furcadia? Player combat is fairly important to many players in Achaea
(of primary importance to a few players). Gold is important, but you
don't get gold from going out and bashing orcs or whatnot. Monster
slaying is of not much importance. It's just a tool, not the goal of
the game like in EQ or whatnot.

--matt