[MUD-Dev] Real Life Consequences

Jeff Freeman SkeptAck at antisocial.com
Sun Feb 18 11:57:03 CET 2001

From: > Corey Crawford | myrddin at seventh.net | www.seventh.net

> My question is, has anyone ever thought of - instead of banning,
> deleting, shrubing, whatever'ing - fining a player for grievances
> against the game?

> I'm talking charging real life money (via credit card, most likely)
> because of rules broken.

> What kind of legal implications would this have?

I'm not a lawyer, so I'll skip that question.

> Obviously this wouldn't work for a non-profit MUD, but it'd be
> interesting to see how many people exploit the next EQ bug if all
> the previous exploiters were fined $100 per incident.

I think the players in general would get the message that justice is
for the commoners and the rich are allowed to do anything they want to
do.  'Course if the fine exceeds the cost of a new box, then the
players might go that route anyway - unless they perceive the value of
their accumulated stuff (stats, skills, magical doodads, etc.) to
exceed the $100.  Then the bug exploiters would see this punishment as
a real bargain.

Generally I'm for doing away with the term "ban" altogether, since
it's impossible to actually do it.  "Character deletion" and "Account
termination" are usually stiff punishments, and all that we can
ultimately impose anyway.

I'm just not huge fan of either rules that cannot be enforced or
consequences that cannot be applied.