[MUD-Dev] Re: MUD-Dev digest, Vol 1 #249 - 28 msgs

Dr. Cat cat at realtime.net
Sun Feb 18 04:04:41 CET 2001

> From: <the_logos at www.achaea.com>

> In any case, I understand your motive behind what you do. Question:
> Do you find that people care whether other people go there?

Absolutely.  In most cases I would say after building a nice dream,
the second step for most people is to try to get a bunch of people to
come into it.  In some cases just to check it out and offer opinions
on how cool it is (or isn't), in other cases the person wants to
establish it as a popular hangout on an ongoing basis.

In some cases a person might be making a place for a private
rendevous, in which case they care that one other specific person
comes there, and that other people don't come there.  Not that I'm
going to admit to having any first-hand knowledge of such things - not
publically anyway.  :X)

Really, for most people the notion that there might be some OTHER
primary motivation to building a dream besides getting people to go
there would be a surprising and alien concept.  A guild gathering hall
or a bar or an exotic dance club might have some specific purpose like
enabling the guild to function or letting people meet each other or
what-have-you, but even then those functions are dependent on having
some people go there in order that those activities can be carried
out.  Anyway our original & still most popular map for uploading
dreams often has bots people have programmed standing around to
indicate where a dream is, the description of the bot character
advertising something about it, and in some cases the bot will say or
shout a canned advertisement at intervals.  I've also seen kids out
and out beg people to come in and see their dream if they can't get
people in any other way.  There's a lot of eagerness people have to
show off what they've created.

> I realize your world is a bit different from mine, but in mine,
> people would kill to build an area and create rules about who can
> and can't get in. We do allow them to build those, but they are
> called houses, and as they cost about $105 for the first room and
> $40/room in a city (twice that outside a city, 1.5x that in a
> village) plus the cost of any special features or customization
> (servants, pubs or bars, healing fields, outdoor rooms, forges, etc
> etc), people don't build anything but house-type things with a
> handful of rooms (though I believe someone is considering a 20 room
> castle with a dungeon and a couple of aggressive mobiles currently.)

That's an awful lot of money.  We'd never have had the explosion of
creativity we have if we restricted building to the people willing to
pay $100+!  Of course the economics are totally different in a world
where combat, gold acquisition and monster slaying are primary
elements.