[MUD-Dev] Semi Graphical Muds

Kevin Littlejohn darius at bofh.net.au
Fri Feb 16 21:16:56 CET 2001

"rayzam" wrote
> However, you're a case in point. You put forth your opinions about
> political systems and PvP [in another ongoing thread]. So I take you
> to be representative of the mindset of the players who enjoy playing
> in that environment.

> Did you not create a game you'd enjoy playing?

I've watched a few of the DVD "alternate soundtracks" (well, alright,
technically I've listened to a few of them while re-watching the
movies), and the thing that's struck me every single time is that the
Producer/Director/ Writer giving the commentary is an idiot who hasn't
understood the movie ;)

Seriously, as a watcher I find depth in things that the creators
either didn't envisage, didn't grasp, or didn't particularly
like/understand.  Absolute classic case in point is Star Wars - a
great universe, completely ruined by the shallow "space opera" views
of Lucas, IMNSHO.  Others abound - basically, the writers often don't
see what the viewers see in the whole thing.

I'd expect online games to be much the same, possibly even moreso -
you'd maybe be surprised exactly what it is the players like about
your game.  Hell, look at the fuss with EverQuest/UO around baking
skills and similar - or bards, or whatever sideline has been tossed in
there that certain portions of the playerbase love to bits that the
developers don't really care for.

So I'd argue in a lot of cases, the admins/creators are _not_
representative of their players.

KevinL