[MUD-Dev] Semi Graphical Muds

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Thu Feb 15 10:24:04 CET 2001

On Thu, 15 Feb 2001 09:18:32 +0000 (GMT)
the logos <the_logos at www.achaea.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Feb 2001, J C Lawrence wrote:
>> On Tue, 13 Feb 2001 08:16:35 +0000 (GMT) the logos
>> <the_logos at www.achaea.com> wrote:

>> Communities are built upon mutually understood (even if only
>> tacit) agreements and a SENSE of shared participation.  On this
>> basis I'll agree that there is no one community -- certainly the
>> philosophical and political spread of the field is too large for
>> that -- but there are most certainly (diffuse) communities within
>> the various genres.

>> Note that activity level does not a community define.  'Tis a
>> virtual thing, a creature of perception of those chared
>> agreements.

> Shared participation IS activity. Your very definition of a
> community is activity.

The word "sense" in the above quote (I've CAPPED it) is significant.
It can be percieved and thus not realised.

>>> There is no central place where this supposed MUD community
>>> gathers, for instance.
>>
>> Oh?

> Well, I mean, the only places I can think of with any legitimate
> claim to any significant swath of the MUD pie are Mudconnector and
> Stratics. I can't think of any other participatory MUD site with
> even a significant fraction of these two.

Certainly there's heavy balkanisation and gerrymandering of the
various factions, especially in the player space.  Stratics is
hardly representative of the hobbyist end of the market, and its
coverage of commercial games is uneven.  MudConnector tries much
harder with the hobbyist end, but barely hits the commercial
services and (IMO) doesn't offer noticable added value over being a
portal redirector.  MUD-Dev would seem to represent the developer
side reasonably well (as per the subscription list which is well
into 4 digits now) and has a moderate (insignificant percentage)
following among players.

And of course all of us almost compleatly ignore the
heavy/concensual RP end of the spectrum (IIRC.  I can't contact MC
right now to verify this -- they appear to be down).

J C Lawrence                                       claw at kanga.nu