[MUD-Dev] Re: MUD-Dev digest, Vol 1 #246 - 6 msgs

the_logos at www.achaea.com the_logos at www.achaea.com
Wed Feb 14 08:48:54 CET 2001

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, Dr. Cat wrote:

> Our premise is that people who build an area are able to decide who
> is or isn't allowed in, and why, and what rules they want to enforce
> there.  If somebody makes a bunch of annoying rules, nobody much
> will go there.  That's the dream-owner's problem, not mine.  :X)

We do things quite a bit differently. I look at building areas as a
privilege, and further, an out-of-role privilege. Areas take up
significant amount of admin time dealing with the people creating them
(not to mention that we end up having to write all the mobile
programs), and we take the attitude that as it's an out-of-role
creation (in our world at least), your character shouldn't benefit too
much in-role. The most we ever allow is for the player who built it to
write a little story about having discovered the area. Or maybe a
mobile in the area will mention the player somewhere. Heh, we had a
player in our earlier days who built a couple of parts of the
continent, and in each one he put mobiles who hinted that perhaps
Haidion's discovery also entailed a certain kind of conquest. Quite
amusing.

In any case, I understand your motive behind what you do. Question: Do
you find that people care whether other people go there? I realize
your world is a bit different from mine, but in mine, people would
kill to build an area and create rules about who can and can't get
in. We do allow them to build those, but they are called houses, and
as they cost about $105 for the first room and $40/room in a city
(twice that outside a city, 1.5x that in a village) plus the cost of
any special features or customization (servants, pubs or bars, healing
fields, outdoor rooms, forges, etc etc), people don't build anything
but house-type things with a handful of rooms (though I believe
someone is considering a 20 room castle with a dungeon and a couple of
aggressive mobiles currently.)

--matt