[MUD-Dev] Semi Graphical Muds

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Tue Feb 13 20:27:30 CET 2001

"Christopher Allen" <ChristopherA at skotos.net> wrote:

> Felix A. Croes wrote:
>[...]
> > Ellis was designed to be a low-level multiplexing protocol with
> > connection recovery and security; Skotos necessarily went beyond
> > that, but personally I doubt that I will ever use XML.  The point
> > of Ellis, for me, is that I have a communication protocol which I
> > can use for all my future mud projects.  I have no hope, or indeed
> > intention, that it will be used by any mud which does not build
> > upon DGD.
>
> Felix, have you looked at BXXP? I just took a quick look at it looks like it
> has support for both UDP and TCP, channels for multiplexing, connection
> recovery and security. Is there something that Ellis does that BXXP does
> not?
>
> The Blocks Extensible Exchange Protocol Core
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-beep-framework-11.txt
>
> Mapping the BEEP Core onto TCP
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-beep-tcpmapping-06.txt

I have looked at it now, and BXXP doesn't appear to have connection
state recovery -- automatic resending of messages lost due to a dropped
connection -- or UDP support.

I don't like BXXP -- it is an ugly mix of low- and high-level elements.
Messages are, of all things, MIME content :-)  A bad case of pointless
re-use of an existing standard, I would say.

Regards,
Felix Croes