[MUD-Dev] Semi Graphical Muds

Jay Carlson nop at mitre.org
Mon Feb 12 18:35:39 CET 2001

Bruce (bruce at puremagic.com) writes:

> Why didn't MCP take off outside of the MOO community that spawned
> it?

This cynic sez that there's no MUD community and no MOO community, and
only loose connections between different groups that use the same
software.

> I'm not sure, but I haven't seen any comparable efforts from others
> though that were as well specified or approached the same level of
> support and experimentation that MCP has.

I still like MCP a lot for what it does.

If you're willing to go with non-ASCII interactions, a lot of what MCP
does and more is in BEEP (

  http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/beep-charter.html

) although I haven't yet convinced myself that I like BEEP.

> In short, my point is: Why not take MCP/2.1 and work it into some
> other existing codebases or clients?  It'd be great to have
> tinyfugue support for it, or for some of the other common text-based
> clients, or for some of the common servers, like Smaug, or some of
> the LPC mudlibs.

I think Ben Jackson (ben at ben.com) had at least local editing working
in tf at some point.  Maybe not MCP/2.1 tho.

I think there have been a couple of decent public Java implementations
of MCP/2.1, and the Tcl implementation is there in tkmoo-light
(although under non-commercial-use terms).

Ease of implementation in random-scripting-language was a design
consideration for MCP, so it should be relatively easy to implement in
any language richer than, say, troff....

> (And some other interesting things have been built on top of MCP,
> like the TWin client: http://weblab.research.att.com/tchat/ )

And CVW (now in the public domain! http://cvw.sourceforge.net/ )
although that's stuck at MCP/"2.0" because there was never a good time
in the release cycle to fix it.  It's pretty close though.

I should ping Michael Brundage to see what the status is on the stuff
at

  http://spider.ipac.caltech.edu/staff/brundage/np/

Jay