[MUD-Dev] Room-based vs. Coordinate based[Was semi-graphical muds]

Ben Chambers bjchambers at phoenixdsl.com
Sun Feb 11 18:54:27 CET 2001

Which do you prefer?  I can find arguments for both.  Room-based
allows for easier implementation of odd shaped rooms and bizarre
exits.  Coordinate based allows for easier representation.  I was
thinking that the usage of the system I described under semi-graphical
muds allows for the usage of the good points of each.  Coordinates are
displayed on the map screen, and bizarre exits can still be used in
the text based portion.  Another nice aspect of coordinate based is
the area system.  For example the world map and the city map.  In the
world map a square represents a greater distance and a greater time
then the city map square.  Anyone have any interesting thoughts as to
how a system could be implemented?