[MUD-Dev] Semi Graphical Muds

Frank Crowell frankc at maddog.com
Thu Feb 8 12:40:28 CET 2001

<EdNote: New text moved below quote>

Ben Chambers wrote:

> this may have already been posted, but I envision a MUD client where
> there are sections of the screen, and input is seperated... if the
> user didn't have this, they would only get the text based version.

[client view deleted]

> but of the information is recieved in three bursts, so the client can
> re-arrange this information for their own personal preferences.

Actually I see it more as tagged information so that I can do things
like:

  -entry tagged as "positional update" goes to the little dot viewing
  window, with a possible update to the velocity of the little moving
  dot

  -entry tagged with somebody said something", goes to the people
  talking window

and so on.

I have been noodling with the idea of taking a Cold server and making
the changes for 3D space (actually it should be 4-space huh?) and
tagged information.  But then I would have to write at least one
client.  Maybe using the SDL lib (Simple DirectMedia Layer).

Rogue worked nicely because they could tell you that the letter "R"
was a rust monster and you would believe them.  If I had to do the
same thing in a 3D world, I wouldn't even know what a rust monster
looked like, much less know where to find a model of one.  So for
right now I think calling a little dot "rust monster" would work
better than trying to actually render a rust monster.  And tomorrow
maybe I could use something like Genesis3D or Crystalspace and create
a 3D rust monster.  But the server wouldn't know and wouldn't care.

frank