[MUD-Dev] New Scientist Article...

Alistair Milne vw_krug at ntlworld.com
Wed Feb 7 12:02:16 CET 2001

Eric Rhea said:

> http://www.newscientist.com/features/features.jsp?id=ns22751

> I thought that this article might provide some with inspiration
> towards whatever project they are working on. The subject of the
> article covers "mirror" neurons, the researchers tests, and how
> language might be involved.

So to distil it a bit, scientists have discovered that the same
neurons we use for doing stuff, can also change the subject from
'self' to 'other' and then simulate stuff instead.

Should we use this concept in AI?  Absolutely.  Can we do it yet?  Not
until the field of cognitive modelling matures a bit.

Genghis

PS: for more on cognitive modelling as applied to games, check out

  http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1568811039/o/qid=981546964/sr=8-1/ref=aps_sr_b_1_1/107-0617214-9198949