[MUD-Dev] Re: PvP systems

gmiller at classic-games.com gmiller at classic-games.com
Tue Feb 6 12:39:22 CET 2001

--<cut>--
Note: This message was written via the list web archives.  There is
no guarantee that the claimed author is actually the author.
--<cut>--
Original message: http://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/2001Q1/msg00405.php

On Mon,  5 Feb 2001 23:45:53 -0800 (PST)
"John Buehler" <johnbue at msn.com> wrote:
> Greg Miller writes:

>> I want the ability to apply negative reinforcement in the face of
>> inappropriate behavior.

> And if the antagonist is more powerful than you are?

That's where the details are tricky. To what extent do you favor a
"more powerful" player? See the "curses and grief players" thread from
a while back.  The system I described there tends to favor only those
who don't participate.  It's the "thermonuclear war" approach. Even if
PK is the only tool offered, there are numerous variations with
different strengths and weaknesses. Some only provide significant
punishment for frequent death (meaning that occasional random attacks
don't cost you much, but punishing people who misbehave requires a
group to work at it) while others punish you severely (meaning that
getting involved in conflict is very dangerous, but random attacks can
hurt the victim rather badly). Different systems have different power
differentials between newbies and long-time players.

> I'm assuming that most of these antagonists are children.  Beating
> on a kid doesn't teach them anything except that you have to be
> stronger than the next guy in order to be right.  "Might makes
> right", etc.  Retribution is a no-win treatment of an ugly problem,
> which is why I usually don't attempt to include it in my systems.

All systems are based on "might makes right" in some form or
another. The only question is what might is exercised and by whom.

> Verbal harrassment has no real practical response except to return
> the verbal harrassment.  Which only makes the victim look foolish
> for being baited into acting like the imbecilic instigator.

You mean in the system you described at the beginning of this thread?