[MUD-Dev] Slightly extreme reaction to IP and auction

Greg Underwood gunderwoodhsd at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 4 22:32:56 CET 2001

First up, this is the first message I've tried to post to the list
with my new mailing program, so I appologize in advance if the
settings aren't quite right.  I'm still figuring out where all the
settings are stashed at...

Now, to the topic at hand...

At 01:35 PM 2/4/01 -0800, Frank Crowell wrote:

> First a site called Playerauction has posted its rules about how
> to post the auctions of virtual objects such as from EQ and OU on
> their site.

I didn't think it'd take long for that to happen.  =)

Though I do like the last two rules - basically they say anyone who
could use the site as a ban-list can't use the site.  *snicker*

> Originally I had also wondered about the use of screenshots in
> ads.  However, all this would be covered under "fair use".
> Otherwise you couldn't call Beanie Babies Beanie Babies and
> essentially you couldn't post pictures of anything as part of the
> auction for fear of some illusionary property right infringement.

True, but in the US with the various state-level Internet copyright
"protection" acts [read: rackets] being passed (UDMA's I think?
sketchy on the exact acronym-of-the-week), those EULA's you
skim-and-forget become binding, pretty much regardless of what they
say.  All that stuff becomes enforcable w/o much due-process.
Granted, these laws are complete trash, pushed through by lobbyists,
primarily Microsoft, etc, but until challenged in court, they stand.
And under the DMCP, the web sites in question pretty much have to
take down anything the alleged copyright holder says MAY be
infringing BEFORE anything is done to decide if it is infringing or
not (again sidestepping my understanding of free speach and due
process {I'm not a laywer, etc}).  We'll see how much of a spine
these new auction sites actually have.  Should be interesting to
watch at least.  =)

-Greg