[MUD-Dev] Ebay bans character selling

the_logos at www.achaea.com the_logos at www.achaea.com
Sat Feb 3 17:28:06 CET 2001

On Fri, 2 Feb 2001, Yves K wrote:

> It seems to me that the games concepts are relevant in the issue of
> character ownership. In a game where characters are finished like
> say, tomb raider, it is obvious that Lara Croft is copyrighted
> intellectual property. On the other hand when the character is a
> result of the player creativity, like a real role playing game
> should be, it would ring to me like a company selling blank sheets
> trying to claim property of what you draw on it.

But you can't take a character out of the game. What if, for instance,
your character is suddenly struck down with plague that kills him/her
off completely (perhaps such a plague was even inflicted by management
because they heard you were trying to sell your character). Do you
have any cause for action? I should certainly hope not or the next
time my character dies from battling a dragon in your game, it's
sue-time baby!

--matt