[MUD-Dev] MMORPGs & MUDs

Jeff Freeman skeptack at antisocial.com
Fri Dec 21 01:27:30 CET 2001

From: Michael Tresca <talien at toast.net>

> Want to talk about art vs. fun?  Here: if you've got a game where
> any person with money can play, it's not about fun for me.

Ok, I see where you're coming from there.  I don't think that's an
"art vs.  fun" argument though.  That sounds like a "what I
personally find fun vs.  what earns The Big Company The Most
Money"-sort of argument.

I think you're argument would make for a really good article, but I
don't think Jessica's article was it.

If anything, honestly, it sounds like you're arguing for art at the
expense of entertainment - so long as "art" is defined as "stuff you
like" and "entertainment" is defined as "stuff the valid credit
cards like".  If you see what I mean.

P.S. Jesus, I really liked Lord of the Rings.  One of those
ridiculous burger king commercials came on as I was typing this, and
I just felt compelled to share that.  It was better than gymkata, in
my opinion.