[MUD-Dev] Continuous versus Discrete Functions

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Thu Dec 20 15:52:16 CET 2001

From: Dave Rickey [mailto:daver at mythicentertainment.com]

Can you give some examples I can't think what makes you say this? I
can perhaps see people being upset if a trade skill can produce a
wep which is inferior and then has no value to vendors or players.

>   2) Linear functions require less CPU.  A discrete function can
>   use Boolean or integer math, a continuous function almost
>   demands the use of floating point math.  When handling hundreds
>   of players and thousands of NPC's on a single box, fast is good.

Not strictly true, FPUs are so fast now, they can beat integer calcs
in a lot of situations. Also you could always used fixed point hacks
to get around this (as everyone used to have to do before FP got so
good). Anyway, I imagine the way to implement this stuff is through
linear interpolation on a line graph drawn by a designer rather than
working out polynomial curves.  Or the alternative where you just
ratio attack skills vs defense skills etc (This was mentioned 3
months ago on this list as a nice approach).

I think Raph had it right. It's mostly a case of not thinking out
the box, combined with legacy D&D mechanics (Sorry I forgot who
mentioned this).

Dan